Spanmail Spam and Virus Protection
Viruses: Spanmail rejects mail messages containing viruses immediately.
Spam: Spanmail also rejects most spam immediately, before it gets near your mailbox. For the rest...
Recommended Setup for Spam
- Log into the new version of webmail at http://www.speedspan.com/ by clicking the “Spanmail Web” button.
- Find and click options > Preferences at the top right corner:
- Under Options, click Filtering and Spam Control, then select from the One step spam config box.
- You can choose any option, but we recommend one of the Mark .. and deliver options.*
- While you are here, enable the Safe Sender Whitelist (Friends) as mentioned below.
- Click the Save button at the top of the Options panel.
* Suspicious messages will go to the Spam folder with the choice shown above. That folder is visible
in the left panel of webmail. It is also visible in your desktop email package (e.g., Outlook) if it is
configured as IMAP, but not when configured as POP. So, if you use a desktop email program configured as POP,
and you do not want to log into webmail to check for suspected spam, select the option to deliver the message to your Inbox. (Your email program may have an option for coralling messages marked as spam by the server.)
Filtering Exception filtering allows you to set up rules to tell the mail server
what to do with specific messages. This allows you to move messages into folders, reject messages, or
forward messages to other email addresses, bypassing the spam blocking features, and Friends filtering.
(Filtering occurs after a message is rated for spam, but before spam actions are taken.)
Friends / Whitelist / Blacklist
"Friends" is a feature that helps control spam. Use the “Spanmail Web” webmail to access these settings following the first steps above (Options > Preferences > Filterng and Spam Control).
Click ‘configure’ in the the Safe address whitelist (Friends list) line.
We recommend fully implementing “Safe Sender Whitelist address filtering”. You can add email addresses
to the whitelist directly (under Advanced Settings), or just let it be populated as you send email to those addresses.
There is also a Blocked Sender Blacklist if you want to stop mail from a particular address.